Steel Bridge Maintenance - 3 PDH
This is an introduction to the factors to consider in inspecting and repairing steel bridges.
This course will help you to address a variety of bridge inspection situations that may be encountered.
This course discusses steel bridge maintenance and repair. Preventive maintenance of steel bridge components consists mainly of measures to protect the steel from corrosion. When deicing salt is added to the electrolyte, there is a dramatic increase in the rate of corrosion of the structural steel. Corrosion is usually easily spotted by visual inspection. Protection from corrosion can take various forms. The physical condition of the structure must first be determined by a detailed inspection. The structural capacity of the steel should be known. Once the physical condition of the bridge is evaluated, a determination of whether damaged bridge components should be repaired or replaced is made.
Preventive Maintenance for Corrosion
2. STRUCTURAL STEEL
Repair and Strengthen
3. GENERAL REPAIR
5. REPAIR OF STRUCTURAL MEMBERS
6. TENSION MEMBERS
7. COMPRESSION MEMBERS/COLUMNS
Upgrade Steel Bridges
9. CREATION OF A COMPOSITE ACTION
11. TRUSS SYSTEMS
Upon completion of this course you will:
• Learn how many state highway departments have indicated poor performance from their weathering bridges;
• Learn the temperature recommendations for applying paint to steel bridge elements;
• Learn approaches to making repair decisions which must carefully weigh the long-term operational requirements and existing environmental factors that can help accelerate corrosion prior to evaluating initial and life cycle costs;
• Learn how to properly analyze and design repairs that involve adding metal to steel bridge members and elements:
• Learn how members to be strengthened must be investigated for any decrease in strength resulting from temporary removal of rivets, cover plates, or other parts; and
• How to repair loose or missing rivets.
This course is intended for civil engineers and bridge maintenance managers interested in learning about bridge inspection and repair techniques.
Benefit for Attendee
This course will give civil engineers and bridge managers advice and recommendations on bridge repair techniques.