Prime Movers Auxiliary Power Systems - 5 PDH
This publication contains guidance for operation, maintenance and repair of prime movers in auxiliary electric power generating systems. Discussion includes the most common prime movers: diesel engines and gas turbine engines.
1. MECHANICAL ENERGY
2. DIESEL ENGINES
3. TYPES OF DIESEL ENGINES
4. DIESEL FUEL SYSTEM
5. DIESEL COOLING SYSTEM
6. LUBRICATION SYSTEM
7. STARTING SYSTEM
8. GOVERNOR/SPEED CONTROL
9. AIR INTAKE SYSTEM
10. EXHAUST SYSTEM
11. SERVICE PRACTICES
12. OPERATIONAL TRENDS AND ENGINE OVERHAUL
13. GAS TURBINE ENGINES
14. GAS TURBINE ENGINE CLASSIFICATIONS
15. PRINCIPLES OF OPERATION
16. GAS TURBINE FUEL SYSTEM
17. GAS TURBINE COOLING SYSTEM
18. LUBRICATION SYSTEM
19. STARTING SYSTEM
20. GOVERNOR/SPEED CONTROL
22. GAS TURBINE SERVICE PRACTICES
Upon completion of this course you will:
- Learn about compressors for gas turbines;
- Learn the important operational characteristics of governors and speed control devices for turbines;
- Learn the advantages and disadvantages of different types of turbine fuel and cooling systems;
- Learn the physical principles that are the basis for the Otto and Diesel cycles;
- Find out when operational trends will drive engine overhaul schedules;
- Learn the fundamentals of diesel engine air intake and exhaust;
- Learn about engine starting systems;
- Find out about recommended engine service practices;
- Learn about the innovative but little known Wankel engine;
- Learn characteristics of the different types of Diesel engines;
- Learn why operational record keeping is important for plant reliability; and
- Learn the importance of having a starting system compatible with plant operations.
This course is intended for mechanical engineers, electrical engineers and other professional engineers and construction managers wanting an introduction to prime movers used in auxiliary electric power generating plants.
Benefit for Attendee
This course will give professional engineers and others an introduction to the operational characteristics of diesel and gas turbine engines for power plants.
This is an introduction to the characteristics, operation and maintenance methods of prime movers and their auxiliary equipment employed in auxiliary power generating systems.
After completion of this course you will be prepared to address design, operational and maintenance issues associated with auxiliary electrical system prime movers such as gas turbine and diesel engines..